Rob Hiltbrand, MS, CISSP
Technologist with a decade's worth of hands on experience managing people, processes, and technology in the non-profit, consulting, defense, and energy industries. I recently passed the CISSP exam as well as hold a Master of Science in Technology Project Management with a specialization in Information Systems Security (NSA 4011/4014e certified program). I'm a highly motivated individual with good interpersonal, communication, and analytical skills who understands the broader implications of technology to an organization. Currently I'm working as a Technology Manager for a firm with offices in Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. I seek an opportunity where Information Assurance / IT Security is my primary responsibility.
Hardware – HP ProLiant servers, ProCurve Gigabit (GbE) switches, and LaserJet printers; Dell PowerEdge servers & PowerConnect switches; Sharp & Xerox multi-function printers; Netgear, Belkin, and Linksys wireless access points (802.11a/b/g); IP based network attached storage (NAS), Toshiba Strata CTX digital business telephone system, Stratagy iES32 voicemail system, and Toshiba IP based phones.
Software – Microsoft Windows 2000, XP, Vista & Windows 7. Windows Server 2003 & 2008; Exchange 2000/2003, SQL Server 2000/2005; Internet Information Server (IIS), Windows Terminal Services, Remote Desktop (RDP), TS RemoteApp, Easy ISD / Snort IDS, Microsoft Office, Active Directory (AD), Microsoft DNS & DHCP; Trend Micro, CA, Symantec, & NOD32 anti virus; MailMarshal anti-spam server; Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) 2003, Script Logic Desktop Authority, virtualiation, VMware ESX Server, Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, Virtual Box, ARCServe BrightStor backup software, UltraBac snapshot technology, IPSec/SSL VPN, Citrix server, Knoppix LiveCD, Slax LiveCD, Auditor LiveCD, Helix Incident Response & Computer Forensics LiveCD, Novell SUSE & OpenSUSE Linux, Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA), Ethereal/Wireshark, Nessus, Nmap, GFiLANguard Network Security Scanner, and GFiLANguard Security Event Log.
General - Technology project management, access controls, vendor contract negotiations, business continuity & disaster recovery planning, platform/application migration, operations security, end user training, technical documentation, license management, telecommunications & network security, and project/proposal (RFP) writing.
The Liberty Group
October 2006 to the Present
“Hands On” Technology Manager
• Design & management of technology environment during the organization's expansion from a single Houston office to a corporate headquarters with branch offices in Dallas and San Antonio. Central to the design was site-to-site IPSec VPN tunnels connecting all three offices.
• Manage day-to-day operations of the organization’s information technology (LAN, WAN, DNS, DHCP, & AD), data, fax, voice, and long distance systems for Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio offices. Responsiblities include access controls, operations security, and telecommunications & network security.
• Budgeting, contracting, and procurement of data, fax, voice, and long distance services for Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio offices. This includes negotiation and re-negotiation of vendor contracts.
• Design & implementation of the organization's business continuity / disaster recovery environment utilizing UltraBac whole system snapshot technology, Vice Versa replication software, Windows built-in backup utility, network attached storage (NAS), and wide area network (WAN) data replication between offices. Prior to joining the organization, no disaster recovery plan existed.
• Redesign of the organization's messaging infrastructure. Redesign included build out of a new Microsoft Exchange 2003 Enterprise edition email server and a MailMarshal SMTP anti-spam server (two seperate hosts). Implementation of MailMarshal anti-spam software cut spam & junk mail down by 95%. Redesign included Exchange mail store consolidation. The messaging environment consists of three (3) separate email domains.
• Design and management of Microsoft's Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) patch management solution using Windows 2003 Server, SQL, and Active Directory Group Policy Objects (GPO) for client systems across wide area network.
• Design and management of Script Logic's Desktop Authority Windows desktop management solution for branch office client systems configuration, administration, and remote support.
• Redesign of the Windows network included authentication, migrating over from open to hidden network shares, setting permissions based upon group membership (instead of individually assigned access), and running login scripts. Windows network went from wide open to one built on mandatory access controls that grant employees access to only those network resources needed to do their jobs.
• Implemented content filtering, anti-phishing, and external domain naming services for all three sites utilizing OpenDNS at zero cost to the company.
• Redesign of end point protection for the organization. Replaced ineffective Computer Associate's eTrust anti virus (AV) product with Eset's NOD32 light-weight AV scanning technology. The new NOD32 AV scanner, coupled with removing administrative rights of employees from local computers (the principle of "least privilege"), yielded immediate improvements against web-based attacks.
• Pilot program for integration of Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 utilizing virtualization technology (VMware, Microsoft virtualization software, and VirtualBox software) into current Microsoft Active Directory (AD) forrest/domain structure.
• Design and management of intrusion detection system (Easy IDS / Snort IDS) for network monitoring & forensic analysis of traffic.
University of Houston
January 2006 to August 2006
• Attended school full-time and graduated in August 2006 (3.83 GPA).
National Oilwell Varco
July 2003 to January 2006
Systems Administration | Special Projects
• Daily responsibilities included managing 25 Windows 2000/2003 enterprise-class servers located at five facilities plus tape rotation and administration of CA ArcServe BrightStor backup software. Technical Lead for three (3) member team tasked with support of 500 employees spread across five facilities in the west Houston area for issues relating to mobile & desktop platforms, server access, network printing, and web-based applications. Support infrastructure used was Script Logic’s Desktop Authority and Microsoft's Systems Management Server (SMS).
• Designed and managed the migration of 500 employees from a Windows NT 4.0 domain to Windows 2003 Active Directory domain. Project covered designing the migration process, hiring, and training 10 contractors to migrate the end users’ network accounts, desktop profiles, and mailboxes using Active Directory Migration tools.
• Implemented and managed GWI Software's c.Support web-based issue tracking & change management application. In addition to configuring the application using Windows 2000/2003 Server, Internet Information Server (IIS), and Microsoft SQL 2000, created extensive documentation of both technical & business processes, and trained 120 corporate engineering, SAP, and IT professionals spread across the globe on how to utilize the application. Key features of this new system were access control & operations security. Application saved $150,000 in licensing fees after merger of National Oilwell and Varco corporations.
• Implemented and managed Microsoft's Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) patch management solution using Windows 2003 Server, SQL 2000, and Active Directory’s Group Policy Objects (GPO) for end-point remediation.
• Designed and implemented pilot program for thin client computing project involving Citrix, Remote Desktop, and HP t5710 clients.
July 2001 to July 2003
• Daily responsibilities included providing 2nd/3rd level remote technical support for 1,200 employees spread across the globe for issues relating to mobile & desktop platforms, domain & email accounts, application troubleshooting, and remote access. Support infrastructure initially consisted of Microsoft’s Systems Management Server (SMS) 2003 but later migrated over to Script Logic’s Desktop Authority for Windows desktop management. Access controls, operations security, and telecommunications & network security were part of my responsibilities.
• Designed and implemented deployment of the Cognos Finance business intelligence desktop / web-based application for 165 locations spread across North America, South America, and Asia.
• Implemented two separate upgrades of the SAP front-end for 165 locations spread across North America, South America, and Asia.
Covenant Technology Services
September 1999 to June 2001
Information Technology Consultant
• Provided professional services & technical consulting to small/medium sized businesses and organizations.
• Client responsibilities included technology management, strategic planning, systems management, access controls, operations security, and telecommunications & network security.
• For each new client, performed full network assessment, created documentation, and drafted short & long-term technology plans.
• Sales development work, wrote articles for client-focused newsletter, and drafted bids for online B2B Internet commerce sites.
City of Houston Legal Department
June 1995 to September 1999
Legal Assistant | Webmaster | Database Administrator
• Supervised Deed Restriction Enforcement Team’s three (3) paralegals
• Received the Legal Department's Most Innovative Award in 1996 for initiative in developing the Deed Restriction Enforcement Team's citizen complaint tracking database. DBA duties included maintenance of multiple databases using Corel Paradox software.
• Trained 20 Legal Department staffers in how to use software and Internet technologies for research.
United States Naval Reserves (Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth | Joint Intelligence Center Pacific 1070)
March 1998 to March 2006
Intelligence Specialist - TS/SCI Security Clearance – Honorable Discharge 3/06
• Duties included analyzing intelligence information, identifying & producing intelligence from raw information, assembling & analyzing multi-source operational intelligence, and preparing & presenting intelligence briefings.
• Work Center Supervisor responsibilities included managing 10 enlisted personnel; also trained five (5) analysts.
• Training Petty Officer responsibilities included managing the advancement program for the Unit; program encompassed 50 enlisted personnel drilling on three separate weekends.
• Intelligence & information assurance (IA) coursework included Defense-In-Depth, Information Operations Fundamentals, Active Defense, Computer Network Defense, DoD Information Assurance Awareness, and the National Security Agency’s (NSA) Open Source Information System (OSIS) Train-the-Trainer course.
FORMAL EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
• Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) (July 2009)
• Master of Science in Technology Project Management with a specialization in Information Systems Security - University of Houston College of Technology (Graduated in August 2006 with a 3.83 GPA). Master's thesis & research project were a comparison of open source and proprietary software as a way to maintain availability in an open access environment. National Security Agency (NSA) 4011/4014e certified program included Secure Enterprise Computing, Cryptography & Information Systems Security, Information Systems Security Risk Analysis, Project Management for Technology Professionals, Quality Assurance & Risk Management, and Contracting & Procurement Management.
• Associate in Applied Science in Computer Science Technology (Honors - 3.35 GPA) - Houston Community College (August 2002).
• CompTIA Network Plus (Exam N10-001) certification (July 2001).
• Paralegal Certificate - Southwestern Paralegal Institute (September 1994).
• Bachelor of Science in Applied Sociology - Southwest Texas State University (December 1992). Coursework included an internship at the Texas Attorney General’s Office, Consumer Protection Division, Insurance Practices Section.
• FBI's InfraGard – Houston Chapter (2006 to the Present)
• Information Systems Security Association (ISSA) - South Texas Chapter (2006 to the Present)
• Spring Branch Independent School District’s Technology Committee (2004 - 2006)
• Encyclopedia of Information Ethics and Security by Marian Quigley. "Intrusion detection and information security audits" pages 411 through 417 by Terry T. Kidd & Robert K. Hiltbrand. Publisher: IGI Global; illustrated edition, May 31, 2007.